4everAdrian - The Release

Monday, November 8, 2010

Jackass: Chapter

Chapter 1: Where Are We?

The tires screech as the car tries to avoid the oncoming car. News Reporter: “Two couples were killed in a car collision by a drunken driver. It seems like the intoxicated driver lost control of the car and drove across the median and struck the vehicle of Sam and Diana Hams. There were no survivors from this accident.” ~~~ “Where are we?” I asked. “Steven, are mom and dad ok?” Betty asked. “Sit still, we are contacting your relatives, someone will be here soon to pick you up,” said the officer. The door open, “Grandma!” Betty ran and hugged her. “I am so sorry baby,” Glory said as she held Betty closed to her. I walked up to her, “Grandma what happen?” “Your parents were killed in a car accident,” “so they are not coming back,” Betty asked. “No, I am afraid they are not,” tears rolled down my grandmother cheeks as she told me and my sister the news. For days I did not sleep or eat. I started to lose weight which was becoming unhealthy because I became only skin and bones. My life will never be the same again; losing both of my parents at the age of nine and my sister eight. I felt like it became my responsibility to make sure that she was taken care of. Any way that I could get my hands on money, I will do whatever it takes.
It has been nine years since my parents were killed, but for some reason it felt like it was earlier this evening they left us behind with the babysitter as they went out on the town. I spent many nights sitting by my bedroom window, watching every car driving by; hoping that one will pull into the driveway and it will be them getting out of it. I never thought I would ever lose my parents, well not so early in life. I remember my dad telling me that I have to go to college after high school and that he and mom will be there to watch me walk across the stage but that became a lie. Without my parents’ guidance, I lost track of life. I kind of gave up and went the other way.
It is my senior year in high school and I have not applied for any colleges or scholarships; because I am afraid of leaving my sister behind. She is really all that I have left. I have worked a few summer jobs here and there but they were not really good on bringing in money. By time I got paid on Friday, by Monday my check was done. It wasn’t like I was blowing my money on drugs or anything like that; I spent most of it on my sister making sure she had new shoes, clothes and school supplies. My grandmother always fuss when she see me spending my money on my sister, saying that she will provide for our needs. But my Grandmother is sixty-six years old, working underneath the table so she can still collect her social security from the government to pay the bills and buy food for the house. I don’t think it’s fair for her to have to raise my sister and me when she has already raised all of her own kids.
I want the best for Betty; I always encourage her to go above and beyond in everything that she is doing. I make sure she does her school work, projects and I also got her on the cheerleading squad; seeing her smile makes me feel like I am doing my job as a big brother. I took pictures of every A mark that she got on her school work and kept it in my personal photo album. The last picture in the album is one with me and Guy. It’s a goofy picture and no one knows the real story that is behind it; he is my ex. We met when I moved in with my grandmother and ever since then we been best of friends, we did everything together. Some nights I will spend the night at his house or he will stay over at mine; it became a bond that was unbreakable. Where you saw him, you saw me vice verse.
My freshman year in high school on my birthday; he bought me a ring and asked me out. It was the first time he had ever expressed himself to me in that kind of way but I had to admit; I was in love with him. He was the brother I never had; that imaginary friend that came alive. It was the first time I felt loved again, since my parents. We broke up at the end of our junior year, right before summer vacation. He told me, I am not mature enough to be with him and I cannot blame him but I still do love him. I closed the album as I saw a car pull into the driveway; I smiled.

"Stop being a Jackass"

No comments:

Post a Comment